If you’ve been blessed with perfect skin your entire life…this blog post isn’t for you.
On the other hand, if you’re like me and have yearned for clear, smooth, glowing skin…read on!
Between my teenage and young-adult years of struggling with acne, irresponsible sun damage during my youth, and now with the stresses of motherhood and exhaustion; let’s just say my skin was looking a little rough around the edges.
Tips From A Pro
I see a dermatologist twice a year for skin cancer screening (thanks to my idiotic baby oil tanning days of my youth). During a recent appointment, I took the opportunity to pick his brain about my face. I explained that I’m a busy Mom with minimal time and funds to devote to skin care. But am desperate for him to use his magic wand and fix everything – the uneven tone, occasional breakouts, the those depressing fine lines starting to appear as I approach my 40th birthday.
Only 3 Products!
He was kind enough to share with me the only 3 products he believes women need in order to have healthy, beautiful skin. Yes…that’s right. ONLY THREE PRODUCTS!
Wait what? Is he for real?
He admitted to using these products on himself (and for a man in his 50s, I find his skin to be impressively luminous).
He didn’t have a specific brand to recommend for each of these products. He feels they are generally pretty equivalent. And before you assume the worst like I did…each of these products can be purchased for less than $20!
- Vitamin C Serum: Helps fade hyperpigmentation, acne scars and fine lines. For me personally, my favorite aspect is that it took my skin from dull to bright! Tip: Make sure the serum you use contains Vitamin E because that stabilizes Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid which helps lower the pH value of the Vitamin C to help your skin slurp it right up!
- Retinol: If read up on the benefits, you’ll quickly learn that this is considered God of anti-aging! This magical potion makes the top layer of skin turn over faster, which helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and gives your skin a glow. With those words, my dermatologist won me over! For me personally, I’ve noticed its really evened out my skin tone and helped calm my breakouts. Please note retinol is not recommended for pregnant or nursing Mamas.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Think of this as a super-charged moisturizer. It binds water to your collagen making your skin plumper, dewier, and more hydrated! For me, moisturizer or lotion has always clogged my pours leading to breakouts. But this liquid gold makes my skin feel supple without being greasy!
Did You Say Amazon Prime?
The real winner for me was when my dermatologist told me not to break the bank for these products. Pricier doesn’t necessarily mean better in this case! Then he said the magic words that speak to my soul: “you can buy them on Amazon!”
And that’s exactly what I did! But first, I performed a strenuous, data-intensive, scientific research analysis to determine which brands of the above products I should purchase.
Just kidding…I relied on those lovely Amazon stars and reviews to point me in the right direction!
Here are the products I’ve been using for the past 9 months that have drastically improved my skin. Click on the images for links directly to Amazon.
I do not receive any commission for sharing these products. This is based purely on my own positive experience. Please note the 4.5 stars and number of reviews for each product!
How To Use The Products
Here’s how my dermatologist recommended I use these 3 products. To my surprise, it takes under 3 minutes in the morning and about the same time before bed.
- Wash face (I’ve been using this gentle face wash from the same company as the Vitamin C Serum I use. It seems to do its job!)
- Apply Vitamin C Serum (let soak in for a minute or so before applying next product)
- Apply Hyaluronic Acid Serum (you can mix a few drops of this in with your favorite moisturizer or use by itself)
- Of course…apply sunscreen even in non-Summer months (Confession: I’m great at applying sunscreen in the Summer. But I fail to do so in the Winter.)
- Wash face (after a day out in the environment, he suggests washing gently for no less than 60 seconds to remove all makeup and oils)
- Apply Retinol Serum (he said never apply this during the day because retinol can make skin sensitive and easily damaged by the sun – even on cloudy days)
- Apply Hyaluronic Acid Serum (again, you can mix a few drops in with your favorite moisturizer, or use by itself)
Ta Da! That’s it! Three products (plus your sunscreen and a facewash), 3 minutes in the morning, 3 at night. I’ve been making this work consistently, as a busy Mom of 4!
A Real Confidence Booster
Honest truth. In my almost 40 years on this earth, my skin has never felt or looked better. Even my judgmental (but loving) sisters noticed a difference. Some of my Mommy-friends even asked what I’ve been doing recently.
As a Mom who’s often exhausted and running on empty, having my skin glow is a real confidence booster for me!
Share your best skincare tips in the comments!
PS. I’d love for you to pin the below image to Pinterest! Thanks Mamas!